Thursday, August 22, 2013

the greatest international scavenger hunt the world has ever seen



If you're not familiar with GISHWHES, it's a really awesome worldwide annual scavenger hunt. This was my first time participating and I already can't wait for the next one! My mom and I signed up and were assigned to a team with 13 other people from around the world. As a team we tried to complete the 156 items on the scavenger hunt list. The list contained random acts of kindness, random acts of total bizareness and things that I deemed impossible (including a mouse driving a Barbie car, which one of my teammates actually managed to capture!) You can view the list on tumblr here.

When I first found out about it I was hesitant to sign up because I knew I couldn't wrangle 14 friends into signing up with me, and I'm really introverted so being on a team of strangers seemed kind of scary. But it ended up being SO amazing. If I hadn't met Steve Carell a few months ago, it would have been my favorite week all year! I loved my teammates, I had a blast doing the challenges, and I even stepped outside of a lot of my comfort zones. I rounded up my favorite pictures for this post!

The image above is from challenge #62: Let's see your interpretation of "helium pants." I love how this photo came out!! Kyle used his good camera so he was able to catch me in mid-jump. Usually when I do regular outfit posts I take like 25+ pictures before I get one half-decent one, but surprisingly we got this in ONE take!! If I was a singer I think it would be my album cover lol :)



#23: Get dolled up or decked out in your most fabulous prom-wear and pose for an awkward prom photo next to your date holding their… side-view mirror. A car must be formally dressed as your prom date.

I actually never went to prom, so this is the only existing photo of me and a prom date. I think that's kind of awesome. Yes, awesome. Not pathetic. Awesome.



#79: There was something you always wanted to do as a child but never did. Do it.



#73: Create a shrine to an actor from a CW show. Pay homage to it.



#91: Cosplay “Gishbot” (www.twitter.com/gishbot) as realistically as possible in public.



#87: Host a seated traditional Japanese tea ceremony in an elevator to make the passengers feel more at ease.

So many comfort zones broken with this one. First of all, I'm scared of elevators. Also, two families got on the elevator while I was there and I must have been bright red from embarrassment. One of the kids thought it was really cool and asked if he could take a picture, lol! I guess in retrospect it was actually really fun, even if I was blushing my face off at the time.



#56: Create an online dating profile for your pet on a real dating site.

This was one of my favorites! I was SHOCKED when Hubble's profile was approved on match.com. Not only that, but they approved his photos, too! I had so much fun creating his profile.. I made him a cigar aficionado with a $100K+ a year salary who prefers widows and likes inline skating. If you're on match.com you can look him up to see his whole profile, his username is BaronVonHubble.



#118: Make a cozy quilt from old dirty socks. Snuggle up in it alone or with your best friend. 

Believe it or not, this was the most time intensive challenge that I completed! It took me forever to cut up and sew all my socks together (I cut each sock in half so it would take up more surface area) I'm keeping it though, it's actually kind of cute in a really weird way..



#106: Outfit a public statue of a celebrated historical figure with a knitted or crocheted Gishwhes cardigan.



#61: CS Lewis once said, “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one!’” Take a picture capturing this exact moment. The two must have something very visually unique about them. 

Me and my grandmom bonding over our shared love for swimming noodles.



#39: You car has taken a sudden affinity to trash. Oblige its indulgences. Decorate its entire exterior with trash.

I think my absolute favorite challenge was #2: Go order food at your favorite fast-food restaurant. Greet the attendant, explain how hungry you are, what you want to eat, and how good it will make you feel. One thing, you must speak as the Bard wrote. Place your order in Shakespearian verse. I actually got my mom to do this one. It was one of the funniest moments of my entire life! You can watch it on youtube here.