Monday, March 18, 2013

Meet Arrietty!



A few days after I lost Hypatia, my dad suggested that I look at cats on petfinder to see if there were any that I'd want to meet. I wasn't sure if I was ready to adopt again, but then I saw Ghost. She was an 8 month old maine coon mix about an hour away, and she had the same lost, helpless look that Hypatia did when I met her in 2007. I could tell she really needed a home and, after returning to her adoption page countless times, I made an appointment to go see her the next day.

I had a really hard time at the shelter. Every time my mom mentioned our "two cats" at home -- only a few days beforehand we had been a three cat household -- I had to try really hard to hold back my tears. But when I met Ghost I just knew she had to come home with me. I smiled for the first time in days. I needed her just as much as she needed me.

My adoption papers were approved the next day, and then the day after that I picked her up and changed her name to Arrietty (from The Borrowers.) She is incredibly playful and so sweet. She likes to sleep on my back while I read at night and then gets cozy near my feet when it's time to go to bed. She has a cute little meow and likes to roll around on my bed like those weasel toys at Cracker Barrel!

Adopting another cat so soon after losing one is not for everyone, but I think it was definitely the right choice for me. My dad saw how much I needed this, and how desolate I'd be for a long, long time if I didn't have an affectionate little kitten to shower with love. 

I know that no cat will ever fill the Hypatia void in my life, and that's okay. I wouldn't want that. Adopting an animal is not a cure for sorrow, either, and I don't mean it to be. I'm still deeply sad, my heart still physically aches constantly. But there is room in my heart for both sadness and love. I will never stop missing Hypatia or grieving her loss, but I'm also optimistic about the years that me and Arrietty have ahead of us.

She is a super sweet, adorable, lovable kitty and I am so happy to have her in my life. I can't wait to share lots of pictures and videos with you (and you know she'll be the subject of 90% of my instagram pictures!)